Change the world

Non-permanent employment can be on Fixed-Term Contracts (FTCs) of more or less than one (1) year. To differentiate, the University commonly labels FTCs of more than a year as Long-Term Contracts (LTCs) and FTCs of less than a year as Short-Term Contracts (STCs). 

The Terms and Conditions (Ts&Cs) related to short-term appointments are guided by the Basic Conditions of Employment Act (BCEA). This includes Intermittent Work Contracts (IWCs). 

Accepting any STC automatically enters you into an agreement as an employee that you have read, understood and agree to abide by the relevant governance documents, including the BCEA and the Nelson Mandela University rules, regulations, policies and procedures related to STCs.  

Employees also take cognisance of the following: 

  • That it is a legal requirement for employees to be in possession of valid contracts of employment PRIOR to the commencement of employment; 
  • foreign nationals must also ensure that Nelson Mandela University is provided with the valid work permit documentation prior to recruitment; 
  • that NO payments will be made if the valid certified supporting documentation (eg ID) is not submitted to the HR representative, either through or the HR Business Partner (HRBP), and such documents must quote the STC Routing Request system number as the reference;
  • that NO payments will be made if Nelson Mandela University does not have the valid SARS Tax Reference number which must be sent to quoting the Employee Number as the reference. 
  • Employees must notify Payroll of changes to banking details by submitting a hard copy of the Change of Banking Details form. This is available through for prospective employees who do not yet have access to University portals; self-help for active employees is available through HR's SharePoint site.  (Active employees can also view personal details through iEnabler, under PERSONNEL BIOGRAPHICAL and PERSONNEL MAINTENANCE.) 
Forms you can download
Sort by: Name Date Size
Bank Changes Form (216 kB)
Instructions for form

Due to the risk of fraudulent requests of banking detail changes on the Payroll system, the following procedures have been put in place for your protection:​

  1. The form must be completed, signed and stamped by your bank.
  2. If a bank stamp cannot be obtained, a document from the bank (letter from the bank or bank statement) confirming the account holder's details as well as account details can be included.  
  3. A certified copy of your Identity Document is required. 
  4. These original documents must be delivered to the “Post Box" situated outside the Payroll offices, on the 15th Floor of the Main Building, South Campus. 
  5. Documents must be delivered on or before the 10th of the month in which the banking details are required to be changed.​​